Elderly man dies after catching on fire while smoking cigar | News
SIKESTON, MO (KFVS)- A 97-year-old Sikeston man caught himself on fire while smoking a cigar and later died Tuesday, according to the Sikeston Department of Public Safety.
It happened in the 700 block of North Kingshighway in Sikeston.
A family member told officers her 97-year-old man had caught himself on
fire while smoking a cigar.
According to Sikeston DPS Capt. Jim McMillen, when officers arrived, they found the 97-year-old man inside
the home with severe burns.
Police say apparently a family member was able to extinguish the flames
with a towel. The man was taken to
an Cape Girardeau area hospital for his burns. He was later taken to a St. Louis hospital, where he died from his injuries.
A family member told officers that Yount had frequently
fallen asleep while smoking.
Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Scott County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State Treasurer Clint Zweifel returns unclaimed property, including to Southeast Mo.
- Old Town Cape announces 'Christmas Fun for Everyone' as 2013 Parade of Lights theme
- 1 dead after crash on LaSalle St. in Cape Girardeau
- Gov. Nixon proclaims May 18 National Kids to Parks Day
- Benefactors enhance décor at CJHS Tiger Fieldhouse